March 22, 2011

Google Voice in India, finally

India has waited long for Google Voice to get enabled for Indian continent. After its second birthday there are signs of testing being carried for selected accounts in India. From last two weeks, some accounts in India can see 'call phone' bot added to their Google talk list.

Using Google Voice, you will be able to dial to US/Canada for free. You can also add credits in multiples of $10 and then you can call to other part of world in nominal rates. I tried a US number and it was working :-). But why don't they offer similar free calls within India?

Though this service is not officially deployed by Google so sometimes this bot disappears sporadically and comes again (may be because of some kind of testing being done).

Overall it is a good news for many Indians whose friends and family are living in US. Enjoy!

Update: Since few days, I am unable to see the Google Voice bot in my contact list. Not sure what Google is doing with it.

3 comments:

  1. Update (17/6): It has not been in available in last 1 month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Working for me :)
    Change gmail settings to United states ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you tell me in brief. I changed to US. Didn't work.

      Delete

I love feedback, please comment.